Wednesday, April 3, 2013

How to make Perler (bead) Bowls

I wanted to show you some beautiful bowls that my talented sister, Christy, made for me.  She made these from beads.  I just LOVE the color variations.  They can be used for so many different things and done in many sizes and  beautiful color variations.  In the second picture below, you can see the egg shaped green one she made me for Easter.  The other bowls were scattered all around the house and I had to empty them  to make pictures. ( They were not all made for me -- some belong to my girls!)  I have included directions on how to make these in case you are interested.  If you give it a try -- please post pictures for us to see!   
 
These brown ones are my favorite.
The colors are all so beautiful!  I love the orange/yellow variation for fall.
 
See how well they all stack together!
 
To make your own Perler Bowl you will need the following:
 
 
Oven safe bowl (any size and shape you desire)
Vegetable Oil
Perler beads of your color choice
 
First, you will need to preheat oven to 200 degrees.  Next, get your oven safe bowl and pour just enough vegetable oil to coat the bowl.  You can  rub the oil in the bowl with a napkin. Make sure that you spread it on the sides too. (The oil will help the beads to stick and also help release them when it is done).
 
Next, you need to sprinkle the beads into the bowl.  There is no way to put the bead in wrong or right.  Just push all the beads into the bowl covering the bottom and sides and leaving no empty spaces.
 
Now, put the bowl into the preheated oven.  Keep an eye on it so you can see when the beads begin to melt.  (Each bowl melts  at different times -- so just keep watching).  Once the beads have  melted to your desired liking;  take it out and let it cool.  When the bowl has cooled, run it under cold water.  The bead bowl will slide right out.  Now -- find a use for your beautiful new bowl!
 

11 comments:

  1. Christy - the talented sister - ha ha haApril 3, 2013 at 10:33 PM

    :-) You make me laugh - talented sister, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Those are beautiful!! It looks really easy to make. I may just try this. Where can I buy the beads?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea....and easy too! Something I can (finally) do! lol

    Thank you and Christy for sharing!

    ~Tammy
    (your very untalented adopted sister) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever idea! They look great. I am going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So adorable! I will be looking at those big jars of beads in a totally different way from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. You can use any type bowl that will withstand the heat of the oven

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beads are cheaper on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete